Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Doug Waring


Doug Waring, my sweet friend. Not enough good can be said of this man. I only knew him for a year and a half, but what he did for me was unforgettable. Doug recently passed away in a car accident on the freeway. He was 91 years old when he died. It came as a complete shock to all of us. It seemed a but unfair that he would end up leaving this world in something as accidental as a car crash after fashioning his life in a way to help him live so long. 
I met Doug on a summer day when my friend, Keishiana, invited me to come audition for the Jazz House Big Band here in Idaho Falls. He told me I could sing for them, but there was no promise that I could return. After I sang he smiled and told me I was welcomed back any time. I gladly accepted his invitation and returned every week after that. 
Shortly after starting with the band we made the connection that he was great friends with my Grandpa (Papa) back in the day. He said I looked familiar, but could never pinpoint where he knew me from. Once I mentioned whom I was related to he got this giant smile across his face, pulled me to the side of the room and pointed out this newspaper article. It had a picture of their old jazz band from the 1940s. Papa played the saxophone, Doug was on the drums, and my Great Uncle Jay led the band and played trumpet. What a wonderful coincidence.
I quickly made friends with those in the band and felt very much at home. Joining the band was something that I needed desperately. It was my time to be "Emily" and not "Mom" all the time. That might sound selfish, but all I needed was a few hours to myself each week and I became a much better mother. I owe that to Doug. 
 He stretched me far beyond my limits. Challenging me to new things all the time. We were able to perform in his honor at our monthly Big Band Swing Dance.
 My whole family was in town for Alex's Baby blessing so a few of them came and danced the night away while we remembered Doug.
Because of this band I have made lasting friendships, especially with these two wonderful women! 
I am grateful for him and he will be terribly missed. The band won't be the same without you doug!
My first gig in Rexburg 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment