Monday, September 24, 2012

Ward Campout

Our ward has an annual camp out and since we now have our supplies we were able to go. I got everything cleaned out and ready to go. We got this great chuck box from Joe's parents and this was our first time to use it. It obviously has been a while since it has been used, but it didn't take too much scrubbing to get it all cleaned up. 
how cool is this? it even has a paper towel holder!
After I cleaned it our I loaded it up with the essentials and put it in the car. Who knew such a little box could hold so much?
All my needed dishes and utensils. 
We all met at Sugar Hallow camp. It was beautiful. There were trees every where. I was happy to be out in the open and just enjoying the fresh air. Joe set up the tent while I got started on dinner.
it was really nice to have some good down time to chat with some of our friends. 
We had walking tacos (or tacos in a bag). we shared our meal with Steven and Kristen and then enjoyed a lovely fireside put on by the young men and women. After that it was time for a good ol game of capture the flag. too bad the flag was placed right by our tent. we were working on getting AJ to sleep, but with all the hooting and hollering from the teens there was no way he was sleeping so he joined us by the fire to eat a few s'mores. Joe and I had a few, but AJ went to town on the graham crackers. I think he ate an entire package all on his own.  Soon we all headed to bed and slept the best we could.

We of course had a snorer next door, so I didn't get much sleep, but the boys slept all night long. I finally was able to fall asleep, but was rudely awaken by what some may call Chinese water torture.  Here in Virginia the humidity is out of control. It hadn't rained that night, but our tent was being filled with water. The dew build up on the rain fly was dripping into our tent because this little guy decided to take a walk. It start all sorts of vibrations on the walls causing all of the little condensed water droplets to fall into the tent.
Thank you to this dear friend we had a very early morning. 
After breakfast we all just sat around and enjoyed the outdoors. Aj spent so much time following all the bigger kids around, until he found these benches. He spent a good hour or so just climbing back and forth over this wood bench.
Well until he needed to poop...then I had to force him off to get his bum changed. (gotta love the poop face)
He even learned to play soccer. He did face plant a few times when he missed the ball, but he really enjoyed it.
we were so suprised to see the missionaries there. They got permission from the mission president to join the ward camp out. We really love our elders. Joe spent most of his morning chatting with Elder Pope about his future (he goes home in a week).
It was nice to see them still acting like missionaries even if they weren't in their usual environment.
AJ loved the tent. This tent was a huge steal to us. My uncle didn't like the kind he bought so he bought a different one. This one sat in their garage for a year and so he sold it to us for $50. that is right! An eight man colman tent for $50 bucks! No way we were turning that one down.
it even had a door just for AJ
We loved our time camping and can't wait to do it again! I think I will bring a few towels next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment