Thursday, August 30, 2018

Garden Spoils

My mom always planted a garden and I loved helping her harvest it each year. Since buying my own home I have looked forward to a summer garden. I was worried about being able to manage this year being super pregnant, but it turns out a lot of the garden will do the work itself.
I worked with my little Andy to weed out, prep and plant in May before things got to hot. We planted snow peas, dwarf carrots, green onions, pumpkins, strawberries, green beans, peppers (red, green and anaheim) and tomatoes. We were gone almost the entire summer which meant there was very little caring for the garden, but when we got back from NY we realized our garden had exploded! Buckets and buckets of veggies to enjoy.
 I made my first batch of salsa. It was almost entirely made out of ingredients from my garden. I only had to get garlic and cilantro...other than that, garden fresh salsa! I hardly had to use any of my tomatoes. This giant tomato (which we call punk-ato) almost filled the whole food processor.
 I had to pick most of my tomatoes early to avoid frost, so my garage was filled with about a hundred green tomatoes that slowly ripened. It was so nice to be able to use them gradually.
Gammie helped harvest the carrots while I was in the hospital. She sent me this picture and said she was thinking of me and my new baby... haha (sorry if this is a bit inappropriate)

No comments:

Post a Comment