Monday, May 21, 2012

Joe starts his job

See Joe. Joe has a job. Joe has an internship.


See Joe's desk. Joe's desk is at his office. Joe's office is in Boise.


See Joe's window. See the view out of Joe's window.


See Boise's weather. See Boise's perfect summer weather.


That concludes my "Dick and Jane" summary of my summer work experience so far. It's a really good internship-- I really lucked out. I am working for Chief Judge Winmill at "the United States District Court for the District of Idaho." That's the official title I recite when I occasionally call court for the judge. My job is to research issues and motions before the court and write orders for the judge. Then the judge and his full-time clerks look my work over, the judge signs it (after I fix anything the judge doesn't agree with), and it's released as the court's ruling. 

On the practical side, that means I get to work with a variety of cases on lots of different issues. I work on civil and criminal cases, from the initial motions to the sentencing. But best of all, I get to watch a lot of different trial proceedings and hearings at the court rooms just down the hall from my office (I share the office with two other wonderful interns, by the way). It's been a very educational experience.

Did I say watching proceedings was "best of all?" The best part of this internship has got to be the hours. Monday through Friday from 8-5. At 5:00 I get to go home and be with my family! No homework in the evenings or weekends! I love my internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment