Sunday, May 6, 2012

Life After High School---The Bigger Picture

For this fast Sunday, we felt that we should write about God's plan, and how it makes everything seem so much clearer in our day-to-day lives.

Lately, I (Joe) have been thinking a lot about life, plans, and the future. Here at the end of my first year in law school, I'm worrying about internships, grades, and what job I'll get at the end of my three years. I keep thinking about incomes and competition (class ranking is on everybody's mind here), constantly comparing myself and my plans with everyone else's. But recently I took a step back to look at what's really important. It's nice to be able to say I don't care all that much what my salary's going to be or what car I'm going to be driving. It's true what they say---you can't take it with you (and "it" includes the aforementioned salary and car).

This call back to reality came to me while I was at church. And I realize that more than just knowing that my family and happiness are more important to me than how much cash I carry in my wallet, I love that I can rely on the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ to give me the right eternal perspective. We know from the Bible and the Book of Mormon that we lived with God as spirits before we came to earth, and we will leave the earth as spirits when we die. Just this snapshot from the middle of God's plan has a lot of meaning packed into it. First of all, it means that this life, this 80 or so years we get on the earth, isn't all we get. We lived before then and we'll live after---it's like high school. When you're in high school, a lot of things seem more important than anything in the world, but looking back, they're just a little hiccup in our life timeline. Sure, the things we learn the character we build in high school are immensely important to our bigger picture---our earth life is really important, too---but it's not everything. It helps me to step back and get a healthier perspective when I know that this life will be over someday, and my eternal life will continue---just like I know law school will be over in a couple of years, and I'll move on to better things.

Knowing I lived before and will live after this mortal life also keeps me happier while I'm here. I think I make more careful, responsible decisions because I know I'll have to live with them for a lot longer than 80 years (I keep saying 80 years because the Internet says that's the average life expectancy in the U.S...it's not a prophecy of how long I'll live). That tendency toward responsibility has helped me in a lot of ways in life. And I have security and hope regarding the future, because I know there are good things waiting for me as long as I make the right choices. Although it hurt when my grandfather passed away, I know I'll get to see him again after this life. And even though it would break my heart if I lost my wife or son, I know that Emily, AJ and I will be together in the next life as a family because we were sealed in God's temple. Nothing in this life is certain. I could lose my job and live as a pauper my whole life. I could lose my family and live alone for 80 years. But just as there is life after high school, there is life after this one, and we can be with the ones we love. We can live with God in His Kingdom forever. So yes, things are a little uncertain for me now, but some things are always certain, and just knowing that makes it all seem so much easier to handle.

I (Emily) am so grateful for the knowledge of my purpose here on earth, and the hope for what is to come. I know that things can only get better. If I continually choose to follow God's commandments, and stand tall as a daughter of God, I will only be blessed with great things in the life to come.

I remember on my mission I came across an elderly man while knocking on doors. He was miserable. He told us that he knew he was going to Hell because of some poor choices he had made in life. We continued to tell him about the wonderful blessing of repentance that comes through God's plan and the Atonement of Christ. He didn't seem too convinced. He stopped us in the middle of our explanation and asked both my companion and me what our definition of "Hell" was. I had never thought of it. I always knew that there was a place for every single one of God's children to be happy and an opportunity to repent. Hell was never an option, but I thought about it and answered with "Wherever I am alone. If I don't have my family in the afterlife, that would be Hell to me, so I will do everything I can to make the right choices to ensure that I am worthy to join my family in the presence of my Heavenly Father." He obviously couldn't argue with my opinion. He didn't have to believe our teachings...I wasn't going to make him...but I am grateful for his question that caused me to think about what my top priority really is. I know that if I live correctly I will be able to be with Joe forever, because of the blessings of the temple. This, I believe, is the greatest gift we have been given. I don't ever want to make a mistake big enough to put my eternal happiness in jeopardy. This is my eternal goal.

We could blog for hours about the whole Plan of Happiness, but we won't. If you've ever wondered where you came from or what happens when you die...or if you want to know what we know, click here to learn more.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to your Sunday thoughts. You are able to verbalize just what I feel in my heart. It is a gift. Please continue and know that I read EVERY word. I pray the WORLD does too.

    ReplyDelete