Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My Dear Sister "Boss"ard

This is Sister Elizabeth Bossard aka "Boss". She passed on recently and I am willing to bet money that all of heaven heard her cheery belting voice sing out "Good Morning!" as it echoed through all creation when she entered the eternities.
She was a wonderfully delightful woman. She was so well known throughout BYU-Idaho that it was a true blessing to snag a place in her vocal studio. She wouldn't take just anyone. She had a gift for taking those who really needed an extra bit of love and faith and turning them into something great.
I first met Boss as she was singing through the hallways my first year at school. People either loved her for her bubbly personality and unconditional love or hated her for her loud and demanding personality. I fell in love with this spunky little lady almost instantly. She taught mostly Broadway style and since that wasn't what I was studying I didn't have a chance to learn from her...that is until my worst experience at BYU-I turned into a blessing. 
I had just returned from my mission and couldn't wait to really sing again. I was assigned to a highly spoken of teacher who had requested to have me in her studio after watching my most recent jury (vocal finals) from before my mission. I had received a 98% from 3 of the most critical teachers at our school. I was so excited to be picked by hand to be in someones studio. After a few short lessons she informed me that she was going to remove me from "Performance Major" status. She felt I couldn't hack it and I wasn't good enough. She told me to my face that I was a waste of time. I broke down into tears and ran out of her office. Didn't she know that I was trying, but I was a little out of practice?
The next day I returned determined to show her wrong, but she had already filled my lesson space with someone else. I went and talked to the dean, asking what I cold do to fix all of this. He said he would take care of this teacher in a fair way...she got fired. I guess I wasn't the only one she was treating like this. Every other teacher had a full studio so I was just going to sit it out for the semester, but then Sis Bossard found me in the hall and begged me to join her studio. 
Within 2 weeks  I felt like I was back to where I was before my mission and was confident about it. She loved me and showed me what I was capable of. She never put limits on what I wanted to try. After all these terrible experiences that brought me down so low she pulled me up higher than I was to begin with. That is a true gift to be able to have that effect on everyone you meet. She gave me the courage and confidence to really sing again. To give it my all. my talent, my passion, my mind and my heart! 
After many hard hours and a lot of love I put together the best Senior recital that school had seen. She allowed me to show every side of my musical passion. I did Classical, Spiritual, Broadway and Jazz and filled that auditorium with friends and family.
I love you Boss, for everything you did for me and countless others. You will never know how much you mended this broken little girl. I will always remember the love you showed me and pray I can pass it on to my students as I teach. You are deeply missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment