Friday, April 18, 2014

Cali Trip: Part 1 (pre-wedding)

So, this may have been one of that hardest things I have ever done, but I decided to attend a friend's wedding...in Cali...without a husband! One of my favorite families from my mission was having their first weeding, so I had to attend. I knew Joe wouldn't be able to come because it was so close to finals so I found a friend to come with me, but then that didn't work out so I was left to do it on my own. I prepared my bag of tricks and took off...at 4:00AM. (that may have been my first mistake)
For the most part the boys were pretty good. I took one of the carseats on the plane so I could at least buckle on kid in. I had a few new toys and a couple new apps on the iPad for Aj to play with.
 That all worked fine and dandy until it got to be nap time. I did everything I could to try and sooth both of my children, but they were both so tired and weren't quite sure how to sleep in a plane. After 45 minutes of dirty looks,  a helpful stewardess, a emotional breakdown, and one very rude comment I finally got them both to sleep. As exhausted as I was I fell asleep as well.
After 3 layovers and 4 flights we finally made it to California (with the help of some very nice and thoughtful people). Next came the biggest challenge yet. Getting all of our luggage to the rental car. Little did I know the rental area was 3 miles aways from the actual airport. So I used my super mom skills and made our stroller into a luggage cart. The only problem was there was nowhere to put Aj. I was so paranoid that he would let go of the stroller and get lost. This is LAX people. Not the most easy airport to navigate. 
We found the shuttle that would take us to the car after 15 minutes of walking and then because of some malfunction the rental desk was completely backed up. After waiting in line for 2 hours we finally got our car and got on the road. At this point we had already been traveling for 14 hours straight. luckily the boys fell asleep in the car for a little bit so I could regain my sanity.
WE MADE IT!!!!
I look like I have been traveling for days, but i just couldn't pass up the moment to take a picture with this amazing woman. Ilove this lady! Shari Christensen made my mission one of the most wonderful times of my life!  
The boys were so happy to be free to play and do whatever they wanted!
We were able to get there a few days before the wedding so I was able to help a bit with the wedding prep and also take some time to explore my old mission areas. I was so excited to go back and visit with the Storm family as well (I lived with them for part of my mission). She has 3 little boys and a girl. Aj was so happy to have a few friends to play with. They all became instant buddies!
I think Andy also found a girlfriend!
I was also very lucky to get to see some old friends that I taught while on my mission. Cheiry Morrison took us to Oak Glen to see all the animals and get a caramel apple for the boys. There is no better place to get caramel apples!
Andy's first caramel apple
With just one evening to go before the wedding the whole family was very busy planning all the little things and going to bachelor/bachelorette parties. We decided to go to the park and enjoy some real Mexican food.

Bragging to Joe that I got Horchata and he did not!

No comments:

Post a Comment