Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day

All this time at home with very little time outside and few friends around I was beginning to go a little stir crazy. On Monday I was part of a mass text conversation about going in on a gift for my dad for Fathers Day. We decided to all pitch in to get him a grill. As the week went on everyone was going on and on about surprising him with a BBQ after church. I was so sad I couldn't be there. I mailed my check and wrote a little note to send to Potts. Later that week we got this cute little invite from Katie. She was throwing a Father's Day Guys Night Out Party. It looked like so much fun, and Joe hadn't seen anyone for almost 10 months so I called Joe and asked if it was a possibility to go to Utah for the weekend.
So the next day I called Potts told him we were coming and packed up for our trip. It was a long drive considering I am still recovering, and it was our first road trip with two kids, but it turned out alright.
Trying to keep AJ busy while I fed the baby
As soon as we got to the house AJ headed straight for the bucket of animals. He loves any animals he can get his hands on.
How Ken ended up in the line up I can't be sure. 
We got to pick some fresh strawberries from the garden.
We arrived Friday night and relaxed with Potts for the evening. Saturday was as full as can be, but it was filled with friends and fun. We got to see Joe's old high school friend Chase and our provo friends Monica and Dude. It was so great to catch up with them and show off our little Andy. I was worried Monica wouldn't give him back. Sadly we couldn't stay long because of Joe's party he had to get to, but we did enjoy our time.
Chillin' in the car with Addie. Who knew we could fit 3 across. That is good news for a few years down the road!
Saturday evening was spent with Audrey as we made preparations for the BBQ the next afternoon. I was suppose to put the grill together, but in efforts to hide the box from Potts David put it in the trailer, which wouldn't have been a problem if I could lift 70 pounds, but after a fresh c section this wasn't even an option. So, I decided we would try again in the morning while Dad was at church. Turns out that while at the Super Dads party all the boys decided to go see Superman Man of Steal. When Potts got home from his wedding photo job he was a little sad he couldn't go with the guys to the movie, so I convinced him he still needed to see it, and since he had a free movie voucher (which is a story on it's own) he should go. So, ten minutes later Potts left to go to a 11 PM showing of Superman. It couldn't have worked out better.
As soon as Joe got home from the movie we out back and began putting the giant grill together. an hour and a half later we finished, just in time to clean up the mess, turn off the lights and head into bed. Dad got home about 15 minutes later and went upstairs to go to bed with no clue what was about to happen.
The next morning all the kids surprised him at church. Aj loved spending all that "quiet" time with his cousins.
I'm still not taking the baby to church so I stayed home and set everything up. I put all the food out, moved the grill out so dad could see it as he walked out the door.

Everyone rushed back from church and headed for the backyard. Audrey distracted him by telling him to swing in the front with Addie. I stole a little more time for Audrey to get back there y adding Andy to the mix.
 I told him I made him lunch and it was getting cold and so he needed to come inside. When we got inside it was dead quiet. I think at that point dad knew something was up.
It was a great surprise. Mom was so sad to miss it. She is currently on tour with the Orchestra at Temple Square and Mormon Tabernacle Choir. We called her up on face time so she could be a part of the excitement.
Everyone had a great time together. It was so nice to get to sit down with everyone. We really miss spending quality time with my family when we are out east. Good thing we have a good group of family on that side of the country too.
I hope you loved your surprise  Potts. We love you and are so lucky to have you as a father, father-in-law and Potts. Thanks Audrey for the greta idea, David for organizing it, and Joe for helping me put it together in the middle of the night.
Don't worry, I didn't leave Joe out of the whole picture. Yes, this year was a little dominated by celebrating my dad, but Joe got his little Father's Day before we left. You see, Joe is always complaining about his ties and how they hang in the closet. We have tried a few methods to keep them organized, but it just hasn't worked. He has so many ties for work and will only get more as time goes on, so I splurged to get the best tie rack I could find. Thank you Sharper Image!
It spins and everything!!! AJ loved to push the buttons. 
I am so lucky to have a greta dad, but even more lucky to be married to the best dad ever! Aj adores him. One of my favorite parts of the day is to see how excited Aj gets as Joe walks in the door from work. Joe has been such a sweetheart as I have been recovering from Andy's birth. He takes care of Aj with no complaints. Joe we love you and look forward to all the fun we get to have with you in the future!
I love you both!!

No comments:

Post a Comment