Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sleepless Nights

I have been so blessed to have a perfect little sleeper since the day we brought him home form the hospital (give or take a few sick days here and there). Since we got back from our trip to Utah we have had to fight to get this little guy to sleep more than a few hours at a time. First we all had the stomach flu, that kept all of us up for a few nights. within a few days of that we all caught a nasty head cold. I'm not one to complain much, but who takes care of Mommy when she is sick? All I wanted was to get a good nights rest, but I had to be up taking care of AJ, and then Joe, and then AJ, and so on. So exhausted. We finally got over all that and AJ slept through the night like a baby... for 3 nights. Next came the long stretch of 3 teeth in two weeks. Night after night he would wake up screaming every few hours. Nothing I tried would help. I would rock him, sing to him, play with him, swaddle him, give him warm baths, change his diaper and his PJs, but nothing worked. He would either keep screaming or be wide awake. I was loosing sleep like crazy! 4 weeks with no more then 4 hours of sleep a night.  My body was starting to shut down. I decided to just let him cry it all out. It was heart breaking, but I did it. 3 nights of waiting for him to cry himself back to sleep and he finally slept through the night. I made it! I did it! I relished in the next few nights of sleep. No more than 4 days later Joe became the problem. The poor guy had not had any sleep, no end to the homework, and added stresses of home life. His body shut down completely. He was up for 3 more nights hacking up a lung, and had a fever of 103 (which in return meant I was up too). We thought he might sweat it out, but 3 days later he still had the fever. We took turns sleeping on the couch, and all though I was taking care of him, sleeping where he did, touching what he touched, I didn't catch anything. This was no normal cold. He went to the doctor, got a priesthood blessing , and rested for a whole day. That was yesterday. The doctor thinks he may have tonsillitis, or at worse pneumonia. He is taking some crazy strong drugs and sleeping every chance he can get. On Monday he will be going in for a lung X-ray. Please pray that he is alright and won't have to be treated for pneumonia. I fear he will never be able to catch up in his school work. We would love your prayers. We will keep you all updated.

4 comments:

  1. Did you happen to time how long AJ cried before actually falling asleep? The first time we did that with Lily I timed it because I was planning in going in after 15 mintues. Turned out she cried less then 10 mintues, but it felt a lot longer then that! Glad you got through it! Your family is in our prayers! We know how hard it is to be sick since have been dealing with similar things all week! Loves to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Porter was crying to sleep every night until we realized he was afraid of the dark. We started leaving the lamp on for him, and he never cried himself to sleep again (unless he was mad at us about something). Isn't the guessing game awesome? ;)
    And, I hear ya on the "who takes care of Mommy" thing.
    I hope Joe is alright!! We'll keep him in our prayers. Graduate school and sickness never mix. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad AJ is finally sleeping again. sorry about joe that is horrible. i hope he gets feeling better and we will keep you guys in our prayers for sure. love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear AJ is sleeping well but hopefully Joe gets feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete