When my Grandmother passed away it broke me. Unlike anything else before. I was sad, I was angry and I was hurt. My poor children would frequently ask me if I was crying because I missed my grandma. It took me good couple of months to really work through it. I would constantly check my phone for missed calls from her. (we would talk every week) I would giggle every time I passed Wendy's and had to stop for a frosty. Part of what helped me get better was taking the time to plan her memorial. It was hard. It was emotional. But it was necessary for me to work through my loss.
This was the most amazing kindred soul of mine. She built up my testimony of Christlike love. She was not a member of my church, but seemed to understand the atonement and unconditional love more than any member of my church that I had met. She ignited my faith in a marriage that could last forever. I still hurt, and cry frequently because of this loss, but it makes me ever more grateful for eternal families and the blessing it was to have her in my life.
The memorial was truly a celebration of her life. We laughed and cried and enjoyed a good meal together. All the grand and great grandkids prepared a song called Lava for her. It spoke of true love forever. (I even got to play my grandpa's ukulele while we sang)
After the service we spent hours reminiscing with family. This is the kind of service I want. Not a time to mourn our losses but to celebrate the life of an amazing woman. It was one of the only things that got this whole family together. We have people all over the united states, so family gatherings are hard to coordinate, but I was so happy to reconnect with cousins and their kids. To Grandma family was everything!
My grandma sure left quite the legacy. And it all came through these 4 amazing kids of hers. What a strong and amazing family. I am so grateful to be a eternal part of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment