Saturday, July 14, 2018

Music Camp

We always look forward to Mini Mountains and Strings each summer. Aj had such a great time last year that he couldn't wait to go again this year. The only downside was that I was too far pregnant to enjoy staying in a cabin bunk and spend 4 days in the scorching heat. So, we made a trade...If I would take Jenni's kiddos the next week during the big kid camp (which i would have done anyway because I adore them) then with Audrey's help they would take care of AJ and I could stay home.
I went up a little early so I could spend a little time getting Aj organized and comfortable. We walked around a bit, setup his bunk, and enjoyed some extra time with cousins!
 We decided to take off a little earlier than planned so my other kiddos weren't up so late. Andy broke down and couldn't think of a week without his brother. He was heartbroken. Poor kid cried half way home.
I knew Aj would have a great time. He was well prepared, was looking forward to time with his cousins, and loves playing in the orchestra. The next morning I woke up in an anxious fit. I realized we had learned the wrong music for his quartet and I had no way of getting him the right music. He had spent hour learning the wrong song. We even payed for an extra lesson to get it ready, and then I realized it was nothing like the song he was suppose to learn. I broke down. I was crying all morning worried about how I had let my kiddo down and that I wasn't there to fix it. In the middle of all of this he called me in tears because the older orchestra was too hard for him and he wanted to be in the other little orchestra with his cousins. Not helping!! It was a giant mess that took 30 minutes to work out and all was fine! I guess I let my hormones get the best of me...
Well, after the disaster of the first morning everything was smiles and fun. I relied on updates from my sisters to let me know how he was holding up, if he was eating enough, and listening to instructions. I have never done this kind of thing before, and I must say it was a great success. He had all sorts of adventures: catching frogs, riding horses, ice cream stops, playing endless games with his cousins, and staying up late!
Of course mixed in with all that was practicing in orchestra, in his quartet, and on his own. He loved it all!
The last day we met up with Gammie, Potts, and Matt to drive up for the final concert. I was so excited to see what AJ had accomplished. It was also so much fun to be with both my sisters and my mom all at once.
The kids got ready for their concert and we sat impatiently waiting for it to begin! They did an amazing job. Everything turned out so great. Aj was proud of learning everything in just 2 days and couldn't stop talking about how fun it was to be in a quartet with his cousin! (thanks payton for taking him under your wing!)
Aj's quartet
I am always amazed at how much these teachers can accomplish in just a few short days. These kids are so little and yet they learn so much! I am so grateful for all the staff that is so willing to put aside their time each summer to help these kiddos out! It is priceless.
Aj's quartet
All the participants in our family (maybe next year I can work in the kitchen!)
part of our clan
The whole crew! We sure love these kids
The best of friends!!



No comments:

Post a Comment