Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Presenting Princess Ariana

So the day didn't start out super awesome. I was feeling pretty sick when we left for the hospital. I asked Joe for a blessing (which was beautiful and calming) and then took a small sip of water to calm my stomach. I did not know that later that would come to bite me in the butt. We got to the hospital and the staff was rushing around asking why I was so late...I thought I was right on time. turns out I was given the wrong time to show up. They rushed me through preparations and got me into the operating room. Gammie and Joe were right behind me (oh, by the way, Gammie came to watch the whole thing this time. It was awkward at first, but then really amazing to have her there).
The anesthesia went in and I was ready to go... and then I threw up all over. It was so embarrassing (this was the result of the small amount of water I had before showing up). Luckily after throwing up I was able to focus on what was going on around me. It amazes me that after 15 minutes in an OR you can have a baby there. They pulled her out, washed her up, weighed her and handed her to me.
What an amazing moment. I knew right then that Ariana Jean was my little princess. She weighed 7lbs 13 oz and was 21.5 inches long. What a sweetheart! Very alert and quiet as can be.

She was just so sweet.The only problem was I was hardly capable of holding her the first day. I kept throwing up, I was weak from too much blood loss and I couldn't even get out of bed without almost collapsing. It was not one of my most elegant moments in life, but as the nurses worked with me, regulate my medication and helped me get enough food in I was able to stand on my own by the second day. By that point I was happy to hold her all day long.
my glamorous life in the hospital bed
She was quiet, even when she would cry. The problem was she had her days and nights mixed up. I held her all night long(which I refused to do with by boys...guess she is already spoiled.)
The next day we had a few visitors. Grandma (who was a lifesaver watching the boys for 4 days) brought them in to meet their new little sister. Aj was completely enamored by how sweet and small she was. Andy was more interested in the buttons on my machines...But I know both will be amazing brothers.
Grandma got to hold her all through General Conference (which happened to be during my hospital stay) and loved it all.
Audrey came to see me while Joe went to priesthood session. And Katie dropped by with dinner Joe on our second night.
We thought we would be out of there pretty soon after, but Ariana's weight dropped dramatically over night. So, just like with the boys I had to start supplementing my nursing with formula. Not my favorite thing to do, but I know it is needed. A few feedings into the supplementing my milk came in. I was in tears. My nursing has always been a sore point with each kid. I can't seem to produce any milk until a week or two after getting home from the hospital, so it is just painful and almost unbearable for 2 weeks. I know that this time it wa a mega blessing for Ariana to have my milk come in because she had been throwing up and getting rashes from each formula that we had tried. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father takes notice of even simple thing such as nursing our babies. I know it doesn't mean much to other people, but to have all that happen in the hospital was a true miracle to me.
We of course needed our simple photo shoot done by Potts to remember it all. Thank you so much for coming even though i know that Conference had already run you to the ground. It means so much to us to have these moments documented.
Aj got a little bored...
world's longest, skinniest feet! Our little bunny rabbit.
Joe is the best Dad. Although he is no help at night (I had to keep things close by to throw at him to wake him up at night to help) He was a complete angel the rest of the time. I loved watching his eyes light up each time he picked her up out of the cradle. I already can tell that this little one has his heart!

Soon all the stars aligned. My bleeding stopped, I could walk without much help, Ariana started to gain weight again, nursing was running smoothly and we were ready to just go home.
What a blessing to have such a sweet little princess join our family. We can't wait to see her personality develop. She is already such a blessing to our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment